Thursday, September 27, 2018

Story Lab: Crash Course Myth Videos

I really enjoy watching crash course videos to understand biological concepts, so I am really excited to see the crash course on mythology! I liked that he pointed out that mythology can be interpreted in many ways. People can feel a certain way or imagine the setting while reading a story completely differently than someone else reading the same tale. I am happy to know that swallowing eight spiders a year is not correct. A lot of people think that if something is considered 'mythology' it is not true at all. As pointed out in the video, the myth can have an element of truth even though some parts of the story are obviously fictional. It is important to realize that not all myths have a super natural element. I have heard the Persephone story before, but I did not know the pomegranates were the reason she had to stay half the year with her mom and the other half with her dreadful husband. 
It is interesting that mythology was created two separate times in the east and west. Being that both creations were in two different areas, that could explain some of the differences in style we see. When the guy in the video said that myth is not symbolic, but more of a guidance of man, I really thought about that. I thought this metaphor  was really creative because Most of the stories that come to mind when I think of mythology involve magic or  morphological elements, but they all contain some sort of lesson in them. I found Campbell's ideas over everyone sharing common patterns in mythology was interesting and I want to look for these patterns in hero stories as the semester goes on.  I think after watching this series I am going to appreciate the characters and stories being told even more.
 
Image Information: Pomegranates, Web Source: Pixabay
Web Source: Crash Course Myth

No comments:

Post a Comment