Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Reading Notes: Arabian Nights Part B

The first part of this unit held multiple stories within the story being told. I am interested to see if the second part will follow this trend. At the beginning of the story, I have a strange feeling that the man is not really Aladdin's uncle. I thought it was an excessive move to hit Aladdin when he tried to run away. The ring added a nice plot twist for Aladdin. I enjoyed the author saying 'they sat at breakfast till it was dinner-time.' The story is very easy to follow which is probably because of the setting description and characters dialogue. I thought it was interesting that the genie grants Aladdin as many wishes as he wants rather than just three. The two genies having separate powers also makes for an interesting plot. I'm glad that Aladdin was not upset with the princess for giving the lamp away. The roc's egg metaphor for the genie's master was a clever ending. I am surprised the genie did not leave sooner because of everything Aladdin asked for. Aside from Fatima, everyone had a happy ending.
Image Information: Aladdin and the Magician from Arabian Nights by Crane Walter, Web Source: Wikimedia Commons
Bibliography: The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang Web Source: Arabian Nights

No comments:

Post a Comment