Monday, November 5, 2018

Reading Notes: Welsh Fairy Tales, Part A

Arthur in the Cave: I really liked the way the author had the stranger and Welshman communicate with each other. I could clearly tell what the vibe of the story was and how both characters felt while speaking. The scene where the characters enter the cave and see Arthur's army required very few details of my own imagination.

Red Dragon: Asking a question as the story's title is always a good way to draw in the reader. I actually use this approach for my storybook project. The wise man describing the pool with a red and a white dragon was a really pretty image.

Enion and the Lady of the Greenwood: This story had my attention throughout. I really liked that the Goblin disguised himself as a woman and a man to trick the husband and wife. I thought this villainous idea was very creative.

March's Ears: I thought this story was a bit strange. I understand why the barber had to see the ears in order to cut his hair, but having his head cut off was a very intense threat. I am glad he came to turns with his ears at the end of the story.

Stray Cow: The first paragraph describing the lake was a great way to set the scene for the story. It gave off a gloomy, mysterious vibe. It was easy to imagine as the story progressed.

Bala Lake: 'Fertile valley' was such a different term, it threw me off when I first read it. It was foreshadowing that the prince would have a child. The ending was really impressive, the author was very descriptive of the lake and clever in having the harp floating on top.

Dick the Fiddler's Money: The relationship between the Fiddler and his wife was clearly portrayed in this story. As a drunk, he was very clever in tricking the landlord. I really liked the Fiddler's character.

St. Collen and the King Fairy: I was unsure of the meaning behind Collen's actions in this story. I did not understand why he hid in a cell so close to the people he was tired of. I also didn't understand why he got rid of the castle and everyone in it.

Helig's hollow: The author did a good job of introducing the characters in this story. There was a lot of background information provided along with the relationships between everyone.

Image Information: Illustration of two Dragons Fighting from a 15th Century Historia Regum Britanniae Manuscript, Web Source: Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography: The Welsh Fairy Book by W. Jenkyn Thomas, Web Source: Welsh Fairy Tales Unit

No comments:

Post a Comment