Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Reading Notes: Robin Hood, Part B

The Bishop of Hereford: I liked when the author said 'Robin Hood dressed himself in shepherd's attire.' The repetition of 'before the king you shall go' gives the story's plot clarity.

Little John a Begging: The title alone draws my attention because Little John is a scary guy, so I am wondering who could cause him to beg and for what. While reading this story I noticed that I imagine all the characters being bubbly because of the rhyming, but they are actually fighting frequently in the stories.

The Bishop: I enjoyed reading the dialect between the old woman and Robin Hood, especially after she agrees to allow him to stay with her.

The Golden Prize: Robin Hood was able to teach someone a lesson in this story without using violence. I thought that was an interesting turn of events. I was a bit confused because I did not think the priests would get anything from hiding the money, but when he found the money he said each person can take one part.

Maid Marian: I am excited to read this story because this is the first tale based on a female character. I thought Marian was brave and clever to disguise herself and find Robin Hood. This is my favorite story from the unit.

The King: I thought the names of the towns, Fountain-abby and Barnsdale, were creative and gave the story some character. 'Taste of our green-wood cheer' was charming word usage.

The Valiant Knight: Knight Sir William sounds like a familiar character. I liked when the author described the clothing as 'glittering armour bright.'  It was sad reading Robin Hood's death, but the final paragraph was a great ending.

Robin Hood's Death: Including two endings to a series of stories is very unique. I thought this ending was better because Little John was included more, and he was Robin Hood's most loyal companion so he should be.  






Image Information: Movie Poster for the Robin Hood Film in 1922, Web Source: Wikimedia Commons


Bibliography: The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child, Web Source: Robin Hood Unit
 


No comments:

Post a Comment