Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Reading Notes: Welsh Fairy Book, Part B

Owen Goes a-Wooing- While reading this story I really got a feel for the narrator's personality. There was a surprise at the end when Owen found out he had been missing for over a month instead of hours.

The Fairy Reward: It was really easy to imagine the fairies bringing in the babies and taking care of them. I was surprised that the wife married the man before knowing how he earned his money.

Why Deunant has the Front Door in the Back: I was confused when the farmer  made old Beti say "Rhad Duw ar y da" because I have no idea what that means. I thought having the man put his foot on the other's foot was a unique way of giving him a vision.

The Bride from the Red Lake: The details are very vivid when the author is describing the vision emerging from the lake. I wonder why the woman could not have clay thrown on her and why she was so happy to leave if they were happily married.

Melangel's Lambs: The introduction paragraph was very descriptive and 'dense thicket' really grabbed my attention. The second to last paragraph had a bit too much word usage and it was a little confusing.

The Men of Ardudwy: I really enjoyed the word usage in this story. 'They now feigned flight' was a beautiful description. The fighting scenes were very insightful.

Hu Garden: Afanc interested me because the monster caused a huge flood, but was easily tricked by a girl to come out and be chained up. The way they trapped Afanc at the end was very clever.

The Devil's Bridge: I thought the relationship between Megan and her cow was sweet. She was so worried about him being on the other side of the river. I really liked Megan's character because she was really smart to outwit the Devil.

The Martyred Hound: This story was so sad to read because I love dogs. I was intrigued throughout the story to see why the dog did not go on the chase and then to see where the baby was. I wish Llywelyn could have saved the hound from dying.


Image Information: Diogenes Sitting in His Tub (1860) by Jean-Léon Gérôme, Web Source: Wikipedia
Bibliography: The Welsh Fairy Book by W. Jenkyn Thomas, Web Source: Welsh Fairy Tales Unit

No comments:

Post a Comment