Monday, November 12, 2018

Reading Notes: Robin Hood, Part A

Progress to Nottingham: I really enjoyed the rhyme scheme in the story. The introduction of Robin Hood's character was very attention grabbing. It is a good idea to tell where the character came from before diving into stories about them because this gives your story more depth.

John Little: It is so ironic that this big, bulky man is called 'Little John.' I really enjoyed reading how their relationship formed, and the author did a good job of independently introducing John before beginning the story.

The Ranger: 'Forester bold' is very nice word usage. I have to admit I am use to reading short stories with consistent rhyming, so reading something lengthy slightly takes away from the plot itself.

The Bold Pedlar: 'All shall gang with thee' made me smile because I thought of the common phrase 'gang' but he was just referring to his pack. I am glad no one was seriously hurt from the fight.

The Shepherd: This story was the easiest to read. I think the words flowed better, especially when there was dialogue between characters. My favorite line was: 'this hook of mine shall let thee know a coward I do hate.'

Robin Hood's Delight: I love the time descriptions in this story: midsummer's day, or 'from eight a clock till two and past.'  This story seemed to take bits and pieces of The Bold Pedlar and The Shephred. 

 The Pedlars: 'It pierst the skin of his backe within' was great word usage. The 'trash talk' in these stories is all so entertaining.

Allen a Dale: I thought the pair up of Robin Hood and this villain, dressed in scarlet red, was a great protagonist/antagonist combo. It kind of bothered me that the name in the title was spelled differently than in the story. I did not expect a marriage to take place in the story.




Image Information: Robin Hood and Little John by Louis Rhead, Web Source: Wikimedia Commons
Bibliography: The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child, Web Source: Robin Hood Unit

No comments:

Post a Comment