Sunday, November 4, 2018

Learning Challenge: Digital Distraction

I was already aware that having electronics at the tip of your fingers can be a distraction for learning. You do not have to read through books to find the answers to questions when you can just pull up Google or any other search engine. I did not know that it was hindering our ability to focus on one goal or task at a time. Multitasking is very beneficial, but being able to just keep your attention on one object can also be effective. The author talked about increasing anxiety or stress because of these digital distractions and that scares me. I do have a lot of friends that have some sort of anxiety or depression, so I think I will do some extra research to see if this correlation has been tested anywhere else. I had an interview at OSU medical school and they have a room specifically for relieving stress and they had a video game that helped you calm down. The most popular version was one that had a flower that would grow when your heart rate slowed or was constant. This read really opened my mind to how having a phone 24/7 or playing too many video games can have negative impacts on all aspects of your life.


Image Information: Student Hiding Phone behind Book, Web Source: Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment